Associate, Sales & Use Tax
Location: Houston, TX, United States
Date Posted: May 30, 2023
- Assist, prepare, and maintain sales and use tax documentation for audits
- Perform multi-state state and local sales and use tax research
- Assist with state and local sales and use tax due diligence analysis for business acquisitions or divestitures
- Prepare detailed Sales & Use tax technical research memorandums for internal sources and clients
- Maintain contemporaneous documentation re: product taxability determinations
- Monitor and analyze Accounts Payable systems and miscellaneous entries to determine the taxability and monthly use tax accrual requirements
- Draft pertinent technical letters to appropriate state officials on tax interpretation
- Work with ERP systems such as SAP and automated sales tax determination packages (Vertex or OneSource tax software) to ensure proper taxation of sales and purchases
- Perform audit defense for Sales & Use
- Provide sales and use tax training of internal customers in the form of memos, classes etc. (plants and accounting personnel)
- Perform any tasks necessary to ensure we accomplish our goals of increased compliance to tax laws and lower tax audit liabilities
- Prepare data files for sales & use tax and any other statutory filings
- Respond to notices from state and local jurisdictions as needed
- Utilizing process control (how to measure, track, analyze and initiate improvement)
- Develop recommendations based on audit results to minimize exposure
- Work on research projects to update the company's sales and use tax matrices
- Work on special projects related to incentives for sales and use tax
- Build relationships with client personnel, to assist with sales and use tax issues
- Participate in the development of staff through mentoring
- Bachelor’s Degree is required
- 2+ years of Sales and Use Tax experience is required
- Experience with various research software RIA, CCH and other software (Vertex and OneSource is a plus)
- Ability to identify issues and exposures for audits and notices
- We are looking for an individual who is excited about working in a positive, proactive working.
- Sales tax consulting experience is desired
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word required; knowledge of Vertex and OneSource software is a plus.
- Must have a proactive can-do attitude with strong analytical, organizational, technical and technological skills
- Excellent communication abilities with intellectual curiosity
Diversity & Inclusion
A&M’s entrepreneurial culture celebrates independent thinkers and doers who can positively impact our clients and shape our industry. The collaborative environment and engaging work—guided by A&M’s core values of Integrity, Quality, Objectivity, Fun, Personal Reward, and Inclusive Diversity—are the main reasons our people love working at A&M. Inclusive Diversity means we embrace diversity, and we foster inclusiveness, encouraging everyone to bring their whole self to work each day. It runs through how we recruit, develop employees, conduct business, support clients, and partner with vendors. It is the A&M way.
It is Alvarez & Marsal’s practice to provide and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, pregnancy, marital status, family status, religion, national origin, age or disability or any other non-merit based factor or any other characteristics in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
Unsolicited Resumes from Third-Party Recruiters
Please note that as per A&M policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters are engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening and in alignment with our Inclusive Diversity values. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that A&M will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.