Manager / Senior Manager - Tax
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Date Posted: Sep 7, 2023
OUR TRANSACTION ADVISORY PROFESSIONALS
The A&M Global Transaction Advisory Group (“GTAG”) is comprised of former Big Four CPAs and CAs who provide private equity and corporate clients buy side and sell side financial accounting due diligence. GTAG professionals actively engage in assessing a target’s quality of earnings, analyzing cash flows, reviewing working capital, identifying key business drivers, reviewing forecasts, and conducting comprehensive discussions with management and their advisors. GTAG professionals routinely team with the firm’s operational, tax, commercial, and information technology professionals to deliver a truly integrated solution to clients.
The Asia Tax team in GTAG is now looking for professionals with the following qualifications to join our fast-growing team in Singapore.
- Manage tax due diligence projects, helping to identify key tax risks and potential deal breakers, and tax structuring for the potential transaction in the context of their clients’ investment strategy.
- Analyze detailed tax computation and other tax documents, financial statements. Synthesize and convert the data into meaningful information that is used to drive discussions with target management and drive observations and conclusions.
- Assess the quality of the target company's tax management function and compliance.
- Manage the preparation of tax due diligence and tax structuring reports and presentations for clients that highlight the key tax findings and supporting analysis. Assist the team in further articulating how such findings should be incorporated into the client's valuation and sale / purchase agreement, and provide other negotiating points.
- Manage various tax advisory assignments, including but not limited to, fund structuring advice, legal entity and operational restructuring, tax incentive assessment and application, etc.
- Manage Singapore corporate tax compliance work, including but not limited to, liaising with clients for information required, preparation / review of estimated chargeable income, preparation / review of draft tax computation, preparation of tax returns and submission of tax returns on the IRAS tax portal for clients as well as handling queries from the IRAS.
- Assist with business development efforts such as preparing marketing materials, participating in meetings with clients, proposals, etc.
- Participate and sometimes lead meetings and conference calls with target company management and with client personnel and serve as an additional point of contact for client personnel with respect to day-to-day execution matters.
- Displays the ability to manage and prioritize assigned responsibilities and proactively consults with superiors as appropriate
- Ability to manage multiple chargeable and non-chargeable projects of varying size and complexity
- Possesses the ability to review and constructively gives feedback to junior team members on project databooks
- Possesses appropriate report writing and review skills in order to assist the engagement team in preparing full tax due diligence and tax structuring report
- Manage engagement issues (e.g., billing, status updates, scope changes) including preparation of scope of procedures, request lists, etc.
- Assist with day-to-day client interaction on deals
- Assist to develop and propose creative solutions to engagement and transaction risks
- Consistently displays desire to take on more responsibility
- Gathers applicable conflict check information and coordinates with Managing Directors to set up engagement codes and other engagement requirements
- Bachelor's or master's degree in accounting and/or related major
- CPA or CA certification preferred
- Big Four experience required
- Solid M&A tax / international tax / corporate tax advisory experience (ideally at least 4 years of experience for Manager; 6 years of experience for Senior Manager).
- Ability to travel within the region (where practical and possible)
- Fluent in English; additional language proficiency such as Mandarin / Bahasa will be an advantage.
- Strong technical knowledge of Singapore corporate income tax laws. Familiarity and practice experience with a Big Four accounting firm in tax compliance and / or Malaysian (or other key ASEAN countries) taxation will be an advantage.
- The successful candidate will be ranked a Top Performer in his or her peer group and furthermore, driven to success, a self-starter, and have strong interpersonal and communication skills. The individual will be insightful, decisive, a critical thinker, and commercial. Further, the individual will be able to work well on teams however will develop the knowledge and maturity to work with our clients independently.
Qualities we look for in the candidate include:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to articulate to senior members of target management, client representatives and colleagues.
- Ability to collaborate with team members of diverse backgrounds across offices and lines of service.
- Ability to work independently in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to exceed client expectations and deliver high quality client service.
- Highly analytical mind-set.
- Strong project management skills.
- Team-oriented personality.
- Professional in style and demeanor/exercises good judgment.
- Motivated and effective in a fast-paced culture.
Diversity & Inclusion
A&M’s entrepreneurial culture celebrates independent thinkers and doers who can positively impact our clients and shape our industry. The collaborative environment and engaging work—guided by A&M’s core values of Integrity, Quality, Objectivity, Fun, Personal Reward, and Inclusive Diversity—are the main reasons our people love working at A&M. Inclusive Diversity means we embrace diversity, and we foster inclusiveness, encouraging everyone to bring their whole self to work each day. It runs through how we recruit, develop employees, conduct business, support clients, and partner with vendors. It is the A&M way.
It is Alvarez & Marsal’s practice to provide and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, pregnancy, marital status, family status, religion, national origin, age or disability or any other non-merit based factor or any other characteristics in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
Unsolicited Resumes from Third-Party Recruiters
Please note that as per A&M policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters are engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening and in alignment with our Inclusive Diversity values. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that A&M will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.