Public Sector – Education: Financial Stabilization and Sustainability Consultant
Location: Seattle, WA, United States
Date Posted: Dec 20, 2023
Since 2003, Alvarez & Marsal Public Sector Services (PSS) has helped government, education, and non-profit clients identify new ways to overcome challenges and implement sustainable change — pioneering a progressive, pragmatic, and forward-looking approach based on our experience applying operational and financial improvement principles in the private sector to address the unique challenges facing public sector organizations. Our Public Sector Education Practice (PSE) works to help clients realize responsible and effective use of limited financial resources to drive improved life opportunities while harnessing innovative solutions to transform organizations and support the goal of student achievement.
Individually, we are finance and operations leaders with deep industry experience. Together we work to unlock the potential of students and lifelong learners by generating equitable and effective education processes, delivered with maximum efficiency, empowered by the best in human and technological innovation. With a commitment to positive social impact, we foster a vibrant, inclusive workplace of diverse voices and talents who enjoy what they do, and with whom they do it.
The ideal candidate will have experience and knowledge in many of the following areas:
- Public Sector Budgeting and Long-term financial planning
- Efficiency assessment and improvement
- Operations Analysis (transportation, maintenance, etc.)
- Workforce modeling and analysis
- Financial planning and analysis
- Financial policies, procedures, and regulations
- Treasury and working capital management
- Resource Allocation
- Experience serving in CFO advisory and interim leadership capacities a plus
- Experience developing reports and analytics from financial management systems (Oracle, SAP, Peoplesoft, etc.)
- Full-cycle accounting and finance processes and performance improvement (i.e., Procure to Pay, Record to Report, Invoice to Cash)
This is a hybrid role spanning remote, client, and in-office work locations and requires occasional travel.
- Assist in the planning and execution project phases, and supervise others as necessary to ensure the following: coordinating work efforts with the client; completion of defined deliverables; adherence to project milestones and timelines; communication of progress to all parties (internal and external); and managing team members, as necessary
- Determine client needs by supplementing the standard assessment techniques and tools with innovative approaches
- Evaluate and validate analysis and develop recommendations for the client in the context of the overall engagement
- Implement and oversee the quality of deliverables
- Effectively manage the team and day-to-day relationships to ensure exceptional performance
- Participate in the development and presentation of proposals for business development activities
- Provide financial management consulting services to education institutions (school districts, LEAs SEAs, etc.), including financial analysis, forecasting, and planning
- Prepare and present financial reports to various stakeholders within education institutions, including the school board, district leadership team, external partners, etc.
- Develop and implement financial stabilization plans and strategies for education institutions in crisis or at risk of financial instability
- Develop and maintain financial models to support decision-making related to revenue projections, expense forecasting, and cash flow management
- Conduct financial assessments and risk analyses to identify potential financial issues and develop appropriate action plans
- Collaborate with education institution leaders to develop and monitor annual budgets, including revenue and expense assumptions, and adjust forecasts as needed based on changes in district priorities, economic conditions, or other factors
- Collaborate with education institution leaders to develop and implement financial sustainability plans and strategies that ensure long-term viability
- Collaborate with external partners, such as auditors, lenders, and rating agencies, to support the district's financial management activities
- Analyze financial statements and budgets to identify cost-saving opportunities and revenue growth potential
- Analyze financial data, prepare reports, and provide recommendations to education institution leadership on budgeting, forecasting, and financial planning activities
- Develop and implement financial management tools and processes that enable education institutions to effectively manage their financial resources
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to education institution staff on finance-related matters, including accounting, budgeting, financial analysis, and resource allocation
- Provide training and support to education institution staff on financial management best practices and tools
- Assist with the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and best practices
- Monitor and analyze financial performance metrics to identify trends and potential areas of concern, and make recommendations for improvement
- Research and stay up to date on industry trends and best practices, emerging technologies related to education finance and share knowledge with district leadership and staff as appropriate
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in finance, accounting, business administration, public administration, education, or related industry field
- Advanced degree in business administration, public administration or finance preferred but not required
- 3 - 15+ years of experience in financial management or consulting, with a focus on education finance and sustainability
- Strong knowledge of financial analysis, forecasting, and planning
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to clearly convey analysis in written and spoken form
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with the ability to work effectively with education institution leaders and staff
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and social justice in education
The following annual base salary ranges are dependent on several variables including but not limited to education, experience, skills, and geography: Consultant: $90,000-$120,000; Senior Consultant: $100,000-$150,000; Manager: $125,000-$190,000; Director: $150,000-$225,000. In addition, A&M offers a discretionary bonus program which is based on a number of factors, including individual and firm performance. Please ask your recruiter for details.
If you have a passion for education and a strong background in financial stabilization and sustainability, we invite you to apply for this exciting and rewarding opportunity.
Diversity & Inclusion
A&M’s entrepreneurial culture celebrates independent thinkers and doers who can positively impact our clients and shape our industry. The collaborative environment and engaging work—guided by A&M’s core values of Integrity, Quality, Objectivity, Fun, Personal Reward, and Inclusive Diversity—are the main reasons our people love working at A&M. Inclusive Diversity means we embrace diversity, and we foster inclusiveness, encouraging everyone to bring their whole self to work each day. It runs through how we recruit, develop employees, conduct business, support clients, and partner with vendors. It is the A&M way.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is Alvarez & Marsal’s practice to provide and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, sex or gender, gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, family medical history, genetic information or other protected medical condition, political affiliation, or any other characteristic protected by and in accordance with applicable laws. Employees and Applicants can find A&M policy statements and additional information by region here.
Unsolicited Resumes from Third-Party Recruiters
Please note that as per A&M policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters are engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening and in alignment with our Inclusive Diversity values. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that A&M will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.