Manager, Transaction Advisory Group
This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Date Posted: Jun 20, 2023
Alvarez & Marsal (“A&M”) is a leading independent global professional services firm, specializing in providing turnaround management, performance improvement and corporate advisory services. With more than 7,000 professionals based in locations across North America, Europe, Asia and Latin America, our firm excels in problem solving and value creation. Drawing on a strong operational heritage and hands-on-approach, our professionals work closely with organizations and stakeholders to help tackle complex business issues and maximize value.
OUR TRANSACTION ADVISORY PROFESSIONALS
The A&M Global Transaction Advisory Group (“GTAG”) is comprised of former Big Four CPAs and CAs who provide private equity and corporate clients buy side and sell side financial accounting due diligence. GTAG professionals actively engage in assessing a target’s quality of earnings, analyzing cash flows, reviewing working capital, identifying key business drivers, reviewing forecasts, and conducting comprehensive discussions with management and their advisors. GTAG professionals routinely team with the firm’s operational, tax, commercial, ESG and information technology professionals to deliver a truly integrated solution to clients.
- Assist with core financial due diligence, helping to identify key risks and potential deal breakers, assess the strengths and weaknesses of the business against industry benchmarks, and assist with the evaluation of the potential transaction in the context of their clients’ investment strategy.
- Analyze detailed financial statement information including income statement, balance sheet, cash flow and key operational data. Synthesize and convert the data into meaningful information that is used to drive discussions with target management and drive observations and conclusions.
- Assess the quality of the target company's reported earnings, net assets and cash flows.
- After an investigative analysis, assist in the construction of deal-oriented reports and presentations for clients that highlight the key financial, commercial and other findings facing investments and the drivers behind maintainable profits and cash flows. Assist the team in further articulating how such findings should be incorporated into the client's valuation and sale / purchase agreement, and provide other negotiating points.
- Participate in meetings and conference calls with target company management and with client personnel and will serve as an additional point of contact for client personnel with respect to day-to-day execution matters.
- Displays the ability to manage and prioritize assigned responsibilities and proactively consults with superiors as appropriate
- Ability to assist with multiple chargeable and non-chargeable projects of varying size and complexity including business development
- Possesses the ability to self-review and critique project databooks created by other team members
- Possesses appropriate report writing skills in order to lead or play a major role in assisting the engagement team in writing the due diligence report
- Ability to lead the engagement team in Quality of Earnings, P&L, Working Capital and Net Debt analysis with a level of guidance from the engagement director
- Able to assist the engagement Managing Director or Director with engagement issues (e.g., billing, status updates, scope changes) including preparation of scope of procedures, request lists, etc.
- Can effectively assist engagement managers with day-to-day client interaction on deals
- Works with engagement Managing Directors / Directors to develop and propose creative solutions to engagement and transaction risks
- Consistently displays desire to take on more responsibility
- Gathers applicable client acceptance and conflict check information and coordinates with Managing Directors to set up engagement codes and other engagement requirements
- Bachelor's or master's degree in accounting and/or related major
- CPA or CA certification preferred
- Big Four experience required
- Ability to travel within the region (where practical and possible)
- Strong excel and power point skills required. Experience with data analytics and visualization software (i.e., Alteryx, Power BI, Tableau) strongly preferred.
- The ideal candidate for the Manager position will have at least 2 years of audit or private client experience at a Big Four accounting firm as well as at least 18 months of experience in a financial due diligence group.
- The successful candidate will be ranked a Top Performer in his or her peer group and furthermore, driven to success, a self-starter, and have strong interpersonal and communication skills. The individual will be insightful, decisive, a critical thinker, and commercial. Further, the individual will be able to work well on teams however will develop the knowledge and maturity to work with our clients independently.
Specific characteristics include:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to articulate to senior members of target management, client representatives and colleagues
- Highly analytical mind-set
- Strong project management skills
- Deep accounting skills including a working knowledge of IFRS
- Team-oriented personality
- Professional in style and demeanor/exercises good judgment
- Motivated and effective in a fast-paced culture
Diversity & Inclusion
A&M’s entrepreneurial culture celebrates independent thinkers and doers who can positively impact our clients and shape our industry. The collaborative environment and engaging work—guided by A&M’s core values of Integrity, Quality, Objectivity, Fun, Personal Reward, and Inclusive Diversity—are the main reasons our people love working at A&M. Inclusive Diversity means we embrace diversity, and we foster inclusiveness, encouraging everyone to bring their whole self to work each day. It runs through how we recruit, develop employees, conduct business, support clients, and partner with vendors. It is the A&M way.
It is Alvarez & Marsal’s practice to provide and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, pregnancy, marital status, family status, religion, national origin, age or disability or any other non-merit based factor or any other characteristics in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
Unsolicited Resumes from Third-Party Recruiters
Please note that as per A&M policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters are engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening and in alignment with our Inclusive Diversity values. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that A&M will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.