This job posting is no longer active.
Location: San Francisco, CA, United States
Date Posted: Jun 14, 2023
Associate, Research & Development
Alvarez & Marsal's Research & Development (R&D) Tax team is currently looking for a Senior Associate to join our national practice. A&M’s R&D team helps identify overlooked opportunity areas across a range of industries where qualified credit activities exist and provides the tools needed to complete the complicated credit calculation. Our team of professionals assists clients in preparing and preserving the documentation required to support qualifying activities and departments.
What do we do?
The R&D team works with clients on tax engagements which require a team of specialists with deep tax technical knowledge and experience in key federal tax areas. We help companies identify permanent cash tax savings and refund opportunities, consider the impact of deductions and credits on effective tax rate, and apply established methodologies and processes to complex areas of taxation, helping ensure consistency year over year.
- Research & Development Credit Services
- Employment Tax Credits
- Energy Incentives
- Accounting Methods
- Meals & Entertainment
- Work Opportunity Tax Credit
How you'll contribute
• Work with multi-disciplinary teams to conduct research and development (R&D) tax credit consulting services, including leading interviews with client subject matter experts, writing technical memorandum, performing tax technical research, and developing quantitative work papers supporting amounts claimed.
• Assistance on federal tax consulting services, including meals and entertainment, accounting method assessments, treatment of capitalized assets, and inventories.
• Communicate directly with client personnel, including operations, finance, accounting, and engineering
• Assist in managing and implementing multiple projects simultaneously, which include client interviews, computations, analysis, data gathering and coordination of A&M and client resources
• Perform engagement management activities including billing analysis, invoicing and engagement setup
• Assist with tax research, responses to IRS inquiries, drafting IRS protest letters, and writing other technical memoranda as needed
• Apply tax technical knowledge to specific client situations and industries
• Interface with client personnel to obtain information and delivery a high-quality project on time and on budget
• Clearly communicate work plan and project objectives to project team
• Work as part of a multidisciplinary team
Who will you be working with?
We are not a typical tax firm. We are a group of entrepreneurial, action oriented and results oriented tax professionals who take a hands-on approach to solving our clients’ problems and helping them reach their potential. We are nimble, resourceful, and proactive but adapt quickly when changes are needed. We present you with opportunities, not a playbook, and we reward you based on your achievements, not your tenure.
How will you grow and be supported?
As a demonstration of A&M’s strong commitment to its people, we offer benefits to support your career, personal and professional development. This includes an equity investment in a diversified financial services firm, the ability to invest in A&M private equity funds at beneficial terms, and a health and wellness program. Click to learn about our commitment to your well-being. A&M recognizes that our people fuel our growth, and you and your team will be provided with the best available training and development resources, as well as networking opportunities. Learn more about why A&M is a great place work.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, economics, or a STEM discipline preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to articulate complex information
• Strong analytical skills
• High proficiency in spreadsheets
• Strong writing skills
• Ability to simultaneously work on several projects and effectively manage deadlines
• High motivation to learn and grow
• Detail-oriented and possess strong organizational skills to excel in a deadline-driven environment.
The annual base salary range is $70,000 - $80,000, commensurate on experience. In addition, A&M offers a discretionary bonus program which is based on a number of factors, including individual and firm performance. Please ask your recruiter for details.
A&M’s entrepreneurial culture celebrates independent thinkers and doers who can positively impact our clients and shape our industry. The collaborative environment and engaging work—guided by A&M’s core values of Integrity, Quality, Objectivity, Fun, Personal Reward, and Inclusive Diversity—are the main reasons our people love working at A&M. Inclusive Diversity means we embrace diversity, and we foster inclusiveness, encouraging everyone to bring their whole self to work each day. It runs through how we recruit, develop employees, conduct business, support clients, and partner with vendors. It is the A&M way.
It is Alvarez & Marsal’s practice to provide and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, pregnancy, marital status, family status, religion, national origin, age or disability or any other non-merit based factor or any other characteristics in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
Please note that as per A&M policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters are engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening and in alignment with our Inclusive Diversity values. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that A&M will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.