Senior Associate - Tax Vietnam
Location: Ho Chi Minh City
Date Posted: Oct 12, 2023
Alvarez & Marsal (“A&M”) is a leading independent global professional services firm, specializing in providing turnaround management, performance improvement and corporate advisory services. With more than 7,500 professionals based in locations across North America, Europe, Asia and Latin America, our firm excels in problem solving and value creation. Drawing on a strong operational heritage and hands-on-approach, our professionals work closely with organizations and stakeholders to help tackle complex business issues and maximize value.
A global organization headquartered in New York, A&M established its Asia presence in 2003 and currently has offices in Singapore, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Ho Chi Minh City, Perth, Sydney and Melbourne as well as in Greater China (Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing), Seoul. Our experienced team has an average of more than 15 years’ experience and combines top-tiers consultants and C-level executives from different industries. Our clients consist of Private Equity firms investing in Asia or with portfolio businesses operating in Asia; distressed funds or hedge funds holding debt issued by Asian companies; banks’ lending to Asian businesses; local and multinational corporations with businesses, operations and supply chains in Asia as well as law firms.
Our Asia Tax team in Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh City is now looking for tax professionals at our Senior Associate levels with the following qualifications to join our fast-growing team.
- Assist with tax due diligence, helping to identify key tax risks and potential deal breakers, and assist with tax structuring for the potential transaction in the context of their clients’ investment strategy.
- Analyze detailed tax computation and other tax documents, financial statements. Synthesize and convert the data into meaningful information that is used to drive discussions with target management and drive observations and conclusions.
- Assess the quality of the target company's tax management function and compliance.
- Assist in the preparation of tax due diligence and tax structuring reports and presentations for clients that highlight the key tax findings and supporting analysis. Assist the team in further articulating how such findings should be incorporated into the client's valuation and sale / purchase agreement and provide other negotiating points.
- Assist with various tax advisory assignments, including but not limited to, fund structuring advice, legal entity and operational restructuring, tax incentive assessment and application, etc.
- Assist with Vietnam corporate and/or individual tax compliance, including but not limited to, liaising with clients for information required, preparation / review of estimated chargeable/tax income, preparation / review of draft tax computation, preparation of tax returns and submission of tax returns on the tax portal for clients as well as handling queries from the tax authorities (where needed).
- Participate in meetings and conference calls with target company management and with client personnel and assist engagement manager to be the additional point of contact for client personnel with respect to day-to-day execution matters.
- Displays the ability to manage and prioritize assigned responsibilities and proactively consults with superiors as appropriate
- Ability to assist with multiple chargeable and non-chargeable projects of varying size and complexity
- Possesses the ability to self-review and critique project databooks
- Possesses appropriate report writing skills in order to assist the engagement team in writing full tax due diligence and tax structuring / advisory report
- Can effectively assist engagement managers with day-to-day client interaction on deals
- Works with engagement manager / director to develop and propose creative solutions to engagement and transaction risks
- Consistently displays desire to take on more responsibility
- Gathers applicable conflict check information and coordinates with Managing Directors to set up and manage engagement codes and other engagement requirements
- Bachelor's or master's degree in finance, accounting and/or related major
- CPA or CA or Tax certification preferred
- Big Four experience required
- Solid M&A tax / international tax / corporate tax advisory experience
- Ability to travel within the region (where practical and possible)
- Fluent in English; additional language proficiency such as Chinese will be an advantage
- Strong technical knowledge and practice application of Vietnam enterprise law, commercial law, securities law and other tax laws will be preferred
The successful candidate will be ranked a Top Performer in his or her peer group and furthermore, driven to success, a self-starter, and have strong interpersonal and communication skills. The individual will be insightful, decisive, a critical thinker, and commercial. Further, the individual will be able to work well on teams however will develop the knowledge and maturity to work with our clients independently.
Qualities we look for in the candidate include:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both the native language and in English including the ability to articulate to senior members of target management, client representatives and colleagues.
- Ability to collaborate with team members of diverse backgrounds across offices and lines of service.
- Ability to work independently in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to exceed client expectations and deliver high quality client service.
- Highly analytical mind-set.
- Strong project management skills.
- Team-oriented personality.
- Professional in style and demeanor/exercises good judgment.
- Motivated and effective in a fast-paced culture.
Diversity & Inclusion
A&M’s entrepreneurial culture celebrates independent thinkers and doers who can positively impact our clients and shape our industry. The collaborative environment and engaging work—guided by A&M’s core values of Integrity, Quality, Objectivity, Fun, Personal Reward, and Inclusive Diversity—are the main reasons our people love working at A&M. Inclusive Diversity means we embrace diversity, and we foster inclusiveness, encouraging everyone to bring their whole self to work each day. It runs through how we recruit, develop employees, conduct business, support clients, and partner with vendors. It is the A&M way.
It is Alvarez & Marsal’s practice to provide and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, pregnancy, marital status, family status, religion, national origin, age or disability or any other non-merit based factor or any other characteristics in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
Unsolicited Resumes from Third-Party Recruiters
Please note that as per A&M policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters are engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening and in alignment with our Inclusive Diversity values. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that A&M will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.