Senior Associate/Manager, Compensation and Benefits (Transaction Tax)
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Date Posted: Feb 23, 2024
Senior Associate/Manager, Compensation and Benefits (Transaction Tax)
What do we do?
A&M's Compensation and Benefits (“CAB”) Tax team is comprised of seasoned tax professionals experienced in providing practical tax advice to corporate and private equity buyers throughout the transaction lifecycle. By utilizing an integrated approach with A&M professionals with deep operating and financial-related experience, the team uses a focused and tailored approach to rapidly identify and understand potential deal breakers, value drivers and other areas of specific interest to our clients. Our CAB transaction tax services include:
- Performing tax due diligence, including reviewing target’s historic tax profile, planning, tax examinations, acquisitions/dispositions, and filing history to assess potential risks and opportunities
- Using the due diligence process to identify opportunities for further tax efficiencies
- Structuring transactions in a tax-efficient manner, including equity rollovers and deferrals
- Reviewing and evaluating significant tax attributes, credits and incentives
- Reviewing and commenting on purchase agreements and disclosure schedules
- Evaluating potential acquisition structures
- Modeling transaction scenarios
- Identifying matters to be addressed post-closing, including integration related risks and opportunities
How you'll contribute
- Develop and deliver quality tax planning approaches by providing timely and responsive services and work product that meets and/or exceeds client expectations;
- Perform compensation due diligence, including review of equity agreements, CIC plans and golden parachute calculations, deferred compensation plans, tax returns, financials, and other documentation to evaluate potential tax risks and opportunities;
- Perform benefits due diligence, including review of retirement plans, Section 125 plans, discrimination testing, Forms 5500, and determination letters for compliance with IRS and DOL requirements to help identify potential tax exposures and opportunities;
- Review payroll tax treatment and withholding policies and practices, including accurate reporting (W-2, K-1, 1099, etc.), withholding on income tax and FICA on various forms of compensation, and worker classification.
- Review and comment on compensation and benefits aspects of financial models, purchase agreements, and structuring calculations;
- Take ownership of assigned workstreams, including creating and preserving relevant diligence work products, ensuring supervisors can timely review and provide constructive feedback of deliverables, and otherwise proactively responding to changes in workflow;
- Coordinate with federal, state and local, and international tax team members, as well as financial and operational due diligence team members, to timely deliver highest quality integrated work product;
- Begin developing and taking responsibility for managing client relationships by communicating and responding to client expectations, gathering data relevant to the engagement, and tailoring project deliverables accordingly.
Who will you be working with?
We are not a typical tax firm. We are a group of entrepreneurial, action oriented and results oriented tax professionals who take a hands-on approach to solving our clients’ problems and helping them reach their potential. We are nimble, resourceful, and proactive but adapt quickly when changes are needed. We present you with opportunities, not a playbook, and we reward you based on your achievements, not your tenure.
Our CAB Transaction Tax professionals have significant experience on both the buy and sell side of transactions across all industries including healthcare, financial institutions, energy, environmental services, technology, and education.
How will you grow and be supported?
As a demonstration of A&M’s strong commitment to its people, we offer benefits to support your career, personal and professional development. Click to learn about our commitment to your well-being. A&M recognizes that our people fuel our growth, and you and your team will be provided with the best available training and development resources, as well as networking opportunities. Learn more about why A&M is a great place work.
- Demonstrated knowledge of compensation and benefits tax concepts, including Sections 83, 409A, 401, 422, 125, and 280G, with the capability to perform research on and effectively apply compensation and benefits tax knowledge to client situations;
- Ability to identify compliance issues with qualified plans;
- Experience with worker classification determinations under IRS and DOL rules;
- Understanding of compensation and benefits issues for various entity structures, including public and private corporations, partnerships, S-Corps, and consolidated groups;
- Bachelor's degree in accounting/finance or related field required;
- Advanced Degree / Certification preferred: CPA, JD, or LLM;
- 3-5+ years of compensation and benefits tax due diligence experience;
- Prior experience with Mergers and Acquisitions preferred;
- Strong writing, analytical, research and organizational skills;
- Experience with all Microsoft Office products (with an emphasis on Excel)
- Strong communication skills;
- Strong sense of personal motivation as well as the ability to work with a team;
- Ability to work in dynamic, time-sensitive environment
The annual base salary range is $85-130k, commensurate on experience. In addition, A&M offers a discretionary bonus program which is based on a number of factors, including individual and firm performance. Please ask your recruiter for details.
Regular employees working 30 or more hours per week are also entitled to participate in Alvarez & Marsal Holdings’ fringe benefits consisting of healthcare plans, flexible spending and savings accounts, life, AD&D, and disability coverages at rates determined from time to time as well as a 401(k) retirement plan. Provided the eligibility requirements are met, employees will also receive a discretionary contribution to their 401(k) from Alvarez & Marsal. Click here for more information regarding A&M’s benefits programs.
Alvarez & Marsal recruits on an ongoing basis. Candidates are considered as they apply, until the opportunity is filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply expeditiously to any role(s) that they are qualified for and that are of interest to them.
Diversity & Inclusion
A&M’s entrepreneurial culture celebrates independent thinkers and doers who can positively impact our clients and shape our industry. The collaborative environment and engaging work—guided by A&M’s core values of Integrity, Quality, Objectivity, Fun, Personal Reward, and Inclusive Diversity—are the main reasons our people love working at A&M. Inclusive Diversity means we embrace diversity, and we foster inclusiveness, encouraging everyone to bring their whole self to work each day. It runs through how we recruit, develop employees, conduct business, support clients, and partner with vendors. It is the A&M way.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is Alvarez & Marsal’s practice to provide and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, sex or gender, gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, family medical history, genetic information or other protected medical condition, political affiliation, or any other characteristic protected by and in accordance with applicable laws. Employees and Applicants can find A&M policy statements and additional information by region here.
Unsolicited Resumes from Third-Party Recruiters
Please note that as per A&M policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters are engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening and in alignment with our Inclusive Diversity values. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that A&M will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.