Location: New Delhi, India
Date Posted: Nov 7, 2023
DI team’s profile:
Alvarez & Marsal’s Disputes and Investigations (DI) works on complex forensic accounting matters and high-profile investigations with corporates, private equity, regulators, and law enforcement agencies in India and abroad. Our Disputes team assists most of the top law firms globally on litigations and arbitrations with very high stakes and very large corporates involved.
Many of the assignments executed by us are of national importance, highly sensitive and confidential in nature.
DI also helps clients prevent and detect frauds through a range of solutions using analytics and technology. We are helping clients to strengthen and implement anti-bribery and corruption programs, anti-fraud controls, regulatory compliances, and crisis management.
What do we do in DI?
Investigations require applications of all skills learned while becoming a CA (auditing, taxation, etc.) with the mindset of finding facts like a law enforcement agency in a manner that is compliant with the requirements of law and admissible in courts.
Out typical investigations involve using technology to find out all relevant data, using the resources and skills to find out facts, using industry knowledge to contextualize the results and using out decades of experience in advising clients on how to manage the outcomes.
Some typical DI engagement consist of:
· Conducting investigations into financial frauds such as misreporting of financials, diversion and siphoning off company funds and resources
· Conducting investigations into senior management / employee frauds and misconduct
· Regulatory / Law enforcement / court-initiated investigations into financial matters of any kinds of frauds
· Investigations into data theft, cyber-attacks, privacy breaches, etc.
· Investigations into anti-trust / anti-competition matters
· Investigations in the bribery / corruption issues, whether conducted by a company internally or initiated by regulators such as the US DOJ, US SEC, etc.
· Finding out digital footprints of a fraudster and gathering evidence against it
· Analyzing electronic data to find out evidence to support lawyers, law enforcement agencies, courts, etc. in gathering relevant pieces of information
· Carrying out data analysis to find out potential frauds / leakages
· Carrying out fraud risk assessments and helping clients fight frauds
· Preparing expert reports to help courts / arbitral tribunals in deciding the quantum of damages / losses / claims to be paid to parties in a dispute.
· Working with private equity and corporates and helping them in carrying out forensic due diligence pre-investments
· Helping the regulators, Govt in understanding issues in policies practices, etc.
Our team composition:
The DI team is highly diverse with team members from all walks of life and many different qualifications. There are CA, MBA, lawyers, journalists, cyber professionals, computer forensic professionals and a wide variety of other professionals which is not typical of firm carrying out Audit, Tax and Advisory.
Our colleagues from other teams include people who re ex-IIM, ex-IIT, or from some of the most premier institutes of the world. We work extensively with these teams to assist them on forensic issues in turn arounds, performance improvements, bankruptcy, corporate finance, etc.
A&M’s culture and environment:
A&M lives by its core values day by day. This diverse environment provides a base for learning and helps in developing a broad mindset that allows our team to grow into multi-faceted professionals ready for the future. A&M’s open culture allows our team members to gain exposure and learn from such diverse professionals much beyond our regular assignments.
What does A&M DI have to offer to you:
· Long term and fulfilling careers that is fast paced and in accordance with your career objectives
· Opportunity to be exposed to a variety of different types of forensic engagements
· Opportunity to work across sectors
· Option to specialize in any type of forensic service or industry sector of choice to build a long-term career
· Fun loving and cohesive co-workers who will ensure that you feel comfortable
· Formal and informal events so that we can have fun together
· Formal and on the job training to gear you to out-perform in every situation
The roles and responsibilities of Associates / Analysts in A&M DI practice are below
Job Roles & Responsibilities:
· Plan and execute tasks effectively
· Manage time effectively by strict adherence to commitments
· Ensure timely and accurate recording of time and expenses
· Communicate lulls if any in the productivity, obstacles to completing tasks, unclear priorities, or unexpected results
· Maintain organized working files, and knowledge of project documents and information
· Willing to stretch and switch contexts
· Demonstrate the essentials of problem resolution and sound judgement
· Demonstrate the initiative to begin developing solutions, and seek senior’s advice when necessary
· Preparation of forensic reports including review, analysis and verification of evidence
· Review documents/information to identify items relevant to investigation or dispute consulting matter
· Compile and analyze facts to formulate, substantiate and/or critique various hypothesis / theories, claims and/or conclusions to support the evidence
· Assist in developing and/or evaluating damages, claims and calculations in dispute scenarios
· Perform accounting or other research required for clients across a diverse range of industries
· Perform analysis of accounting, finance, economic issues in the context of business transactions
· Manage the receipt and tracking of documents and information from clients and facilitate process with other A&M personnel
· Provide high quality and complete work product, treating all work product as if it were client deliverables
· Seek clarification when necessary and work efficiently
· Admit to errors, if any, and learn from mistakes
· Maintain personal accountability for own efforts
· Organize and Maintain client information and work product appropriately
· Provide clear and periodic updates on progress of assigned tasks, and provide prompt and timely response to team member requests and questions
· Well versed with Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point
· Understand team structure, role within team, and respect for all the members and their ideas
· Develop constructive working relationships with the team and is available to assist team during time crunch
· Focus on gaining relevant qualifications and passing exams in line with goal plan
· Seek guidance and feedback for growth and demonstrates the commitment to develop
· Prepare clear, accurate and sufficiently detailed written work such as memos to file, emails and work product
· Articulate ideas in confident and concise manner
· Concise and effective written communication with high level of clarity and quality
· Prepare high-quality slides and decks
· Actively engage in meetings and add value to discussions by participating effectively
· Chartered Accountant (CA) or related equivalent (e.g., accounting degree or economics degree and CFE credential)
o More than 2 years in combination of auditing, forensic accounting, investigation and/or litigation consulting
o Demonstrated ability to provide services involving accounting and/or consulting projects
o Experience in Big 4/public accounting firm
o Prior experience in using banking / financial systems such as Finacle, SAP etc.
 Read about A&M’s core values here: https://www.alvarezandmarsal.com/our-core-values-bp
A&M’s entrepreneurial culture celebrates independent thinkers and doers who can positively impact our clients and shape our industry. The collaborative environment and engaging work—guided by A&M’s core values of Integrity, Quality, Objectivity, Fun, Personal Reward, and Inclusive Diversity—are the main reasons our people love working at A&M. Inclusive Diversity means we embrace diversity, and we foster inclusiveness, encouraging everyone to bring their whole self to work each day. It runs through how we recruit, develop employees, conduct business, support clients, and partner with vendors. It is the A&M way.
It is Alvarez & Marsal’s practice to provide and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, pregnancy, marital status, family status, religion, national origin, age or disability or any other non-merit based factor or any other characteristics in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
Please note that as per A&M policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters are engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening and in alignment with our Inclusive Diversity values. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that A&M will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.